Pages

Monday 17 August 2015

Am I doing this right?

As you all probably know, this whole process of blogging is new to me. I don't even know if I am doing it right for one thing, and then how do I know if I am writing about stuff that people want to read? Is my life interesting enough? who knows - answers on a postcard always welcome - but I'm willing to give it a go anyway.

Im sat here all old school with pen and paper writing out my next post (this post in fact). Is that what you even do? Or are you supposed to type-as-you-go? I have no idea, but I think I prefer doing it this way. I feel too pressured into publishing the post straight after I 'think' ive finished, and then a few moments later, I remember; I wanted to add another note on that point or I needed to reword a sentence in this section. Baby brain is 100% real by the way. I have probably forgotten more since having my three than I will ever know or learn. Do you ever walk into a room and completely forget what you went in there for? Well the other evening I came downstairs to get the charger for my laptop, only when I had it plugged in I couldn't for the life of me remember why I needed the laptop in the first place. J thought I was a complete loon - I mean who forgets what they need a laptop for? Me. That's who. And don't even ask how old I am, I'll have to start counting back to my year of birth.

Anyway, I digress, back to the point. I have been doing a little reading up on how to blog. Its amazing what one can find, simply by googling 'blogging for beginners'. I landed on a post on a website called bloggingbasics101 which was awesome in the respect it told you how to set up your own blog, but as I have already set mine up, I needed more info on the ins and outs, the nitty gritty, of blogging. I found "5 beginning blogging mistakes you can fix" and "5 MORE mistakes to avoid" really useful - and what's more, I've already avoided most of them! GO ME!

Blogging is a lot harder than it seems! I know I talk a lot in real life, I have my own opinions on pretty much everything - I mean my stepmum bought me a cup that says 'everyone is entitled to MY opinion' on it - but this is completely different. I want people to read my blog and I want people to like it!!

Another thing I have noticed is everyones posts seem to be really long! Is there some unwritten rule or something set in stone for how many words you should aim for in each post? I find when I want to write a post about something, I dismiss the idea as it doesn't seem to go anywhere, or it doesn't seem long enough and is pretty pointless. Do you do short posts from time to time? Is this something that, in time, will come naturally? At this moment in time I am feeling some kind of vibe and cant seem to stop writing, so this one, for me, is verging on 'long'. Does how much you write depend on how passionate you are on a subject?

My last question mark on blogging is reviews. Am I 'allowed' to write a review on something I have bought, a place I have visited with family, or something I simply like, even if the owner/designer/person who runs the place hasn't asked me to review it? What is classed as a review anyway? What if I just want to write about a lovely day I have had with my family - is that a review or am I just sharing a lovely memory? - Definitely send answers on a postcard please!!

And then I stumbled across a fab post on tots100, about writing your first post. It was such a good read, and that's when I realised; it doesn't matter if the thing I am writing about isn't the 'correct' thing to write about, or if I'm doing it properly, or even if my posts are interesting. I started this blog for me, to write down my life as a mummy to 3 gorgeous children, so one day I can look back and remember how chaotic life once was when they were tiny.

So if, like me, you are new to the world of blogging and are worried you are doing it all wrong, fear not - I am here, no doubt doing it all wrong too! Just write what you want to write, something your interested in, but most importantly enjoy it!

H.x

No comments:

Post a Comment